October is a wonderful time to visit Iceland. Don’t get me wrong; every month has its own particular charm. But if you are thinking about camping in Iceland in October, then we are happy to talk about some of the advantages of going during this month. So what makes this such a good idea?
October rests somewhere between summer and winter, so you get the best of both worlds. The amount of tourist traffic in Iceland is markedly reduced. This translates into more affordable prices, less crowded places and way more options to enjoy our small Nordic island peacefully. This is one of the best advantages of camping in Iceland in October. You’ll easily find a spot to camp and at a reduced price. Who can beat that? Also, take into account that October is a darker month, therefore Northern Lights are ready and waiting for you. An important tip if you decide to go tent camping in Iceland in October is to be sure to check the weather forecast daily. Luckily, you will be able to spot the Northern lights dancing in the skies above.
I know the Aurora Borealis is an amazing show, but there are still some things you need to take into account:
- Weather: snow has already begun to fall in some areas of Iceland. Remember to bring adequate clothing. If you plan on tent camping, an isolating mat is a must.
- Campsite opening times: There are many campsites that open all year long. Be sure to check them before coming to Iceland. The weather is not as tough as it is during the winter of course. But still, you don’t want to be left out in the chilly weather, right?
- Gas stations: If you decide to go camping in Iceland in October with a motorhome, campervan or rental car, plan your stops at gas stations in advance. In the north of Iceland, they are more scarce, so knowing where they are is some of the best advice I can give you.
- Campsite Rules: even though October is considered low season month, it doesn’t mean that rules no longer apply. Off-road driving is prohibited, as is camping anywhere. You need the landowner’s permission to camp on private land. That is why we advise staying at campsites when camping in Iceland in October.
- Stock up: if you will be camping in Iceland, besides gas stations, supermarkets like Bónus are also important. Be sure to stock up on goodies in Reykjavik. Afterwards, locate those supermarkets in main areas you will be visiting. In the north of Iceland, you won’t find them as frequently, so stocking up is important.
And of course, the most important thing is to have fun! Enjoy Iceland and its pearls of nature as much as you can. October is a great month to do so. Camping around the island, driving through amazing places and spotting great sights is a great way to spend your vacation in Iceland.
Why You Should Go Camping In Iceland In October
The Northern Lights, mild weather, and amazing prices. What more can you ask for? For further advice and tips, check out all of the articles on our blog. You will find detailed information on how to camp in Iceland and a lot of other useful information. We hope to make your stay unforgettable!