A couple hundred miles every day and you will discover the whole island in about two weeks! I am sure this sounds like a fantastic idea for an adventure. Well, it will be the ultimate experience if you decide to do so in a motorhome or campervan. If you want to discover what Iceland has to offer but do not know where to start, then read our article. We do hope it can inspire the trip of your dreams! Here you have our Motorhome Iceland Camping Road Trip Ideas.
Traveling across Iceland with your own vehicle offers so many opportunities to discover Iceland in a deeper way. Motorhome provides not only flexibility but also helps saving money. You are not tight up to schedules or rushed on tours. As you are basically taking your house with you, you really do no need to find a bed to sleep on. But that does not mean you will just pull in and make the pull-out your resting area. We need to follow the rules when you go motorhome Iceland camping. That is why I prepared a nice road tip for your motorhome Iceland camping experience. That way, you know where to stay at each stop!
- We will start off in Reykjavik or Keflavik or course. As I guess most of you are coming to Iceland by plane. If you have directly picked up your motorhome and need a place to stay, then check the Reykjavik Campsite or Grindavik camping ground.
- Let’s head to the famous and well-known Golden Circle. This area is a must go as you cannot miss: Thingvellir National Park, Geyser, Gullfoss. The Golden Circle usually takes up a whole day so we would recommend you to stay overnight at Selfoss Campsite.
- Ready for more motorhome Iceland Camping Road experiences? Well we will now discover the South Coast of Iceland. Here you can visit Skogafoss, Seljalandfoss and Reynisfjora beach. You can then stay overnight at the camping site of Vik. A beautiful city whose beaches are famous for its black sand.
4. We would now recommend you to keep driving counter clockwise. This way, you will find the amazing glaciers of the area. This are indeed some of the most impressive ones you will see! So add Skaftadell National Park and Svartifoss waterfall to your Motorhome Iceland Camping route. And of course, do not forget the almighty Vatnajökull Glacier…amazing!
Once done for the way, head to Höfn Camping Ground and just relax!
- I hope that you had a pleasant stay and that you slept tight. You can then sightsee around Hófen and then we need to recover as we will be visiting Egilsstadir town. A beautiful village set by the Lagarfljót river.
Head then to Eskifjordur Camping ground and let the day be gone!
- Little by little, we are making our way to the North of Iceland. I would recommend you to visit Detifoss, Mývatn lake and if possible, Askja. Bear in mind that to get to Askja you must use a 4×4 vehicle as the path is a F-Road.
You can then spend the night at Camping Mytvan.
- Time to visit the capital of the north, Akureyri. Here you have two different campsites: Camping Hamra and Tjaldsvæðið Akureyri.
Motorhome Iceland Camping Road Trip Ideas
- Leave the north behind and let’s welcome the west Iceland region. You can visit the Snaefellsnes Peninsula for your motorhome Iceland camping route. Arnastapi and Djúpalónssandur are amazing places to stop by. The Arnarstapi campsite is called Snjófell but you also got some more scattered along the peninsula. You can choose the one that suits you best according to your route.
And we are back to Reykjavik! Sadly, our motorhome Iceland Trip is over but I bet it was amazing! With these camping ideas, we tried to make it easier for you to plan your holidays. Of course, there are more campsites around each mentioned area. In any case, you can choose the one that suits you best! And make sure you pack the right clothes to keep warm!